POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Have some SEMs : Re: Have some SEMs Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:19:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Have some SEMs
From: nemesis
Date: 28 Jan 2009 13:47:34
Message: <4980a846@news.povray.org>
Warp escreveu:
> nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> The microscopic world is about as fascinating as the biggest universe
>> structures and I wonder if in fact they are not the same.  As in, once
>> we devise a sufficiently accurate device for seeing further we realize
>> our universe is just a grain of dust and inside a grain of dust lies a
>> whole universe...
>
>   Idyllic, but not very scientifical.
>
>   You cannot "see" an individual atom because the wavelength of visible
> light is too large. It's also a misconception (cleared about 100 years
> ago) that subatomic particles are spherical (or have any definite shape
> for that matter).

Well, I see atoms today despite any light wavelength.  IBM even wrote
their initials by manipulating single atoms.  Yes, they look solid, but
that's just an artifact of statistical imaging.

If a larger and much slower being was to look into our universe, perhaps
he too wouldn't be able to distinguish stars and planets from their high
frequency (to him) waveform orbits.  He'd have to resort to statistcs
too to measure positionings in space.  See above my answer to Tim Cook.