POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This GPL stuff is getting ridiculous : Re: This GPL stuff is getting ridiculous Server Time
14 May 2024 12:44:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This GPL stuff is getting ridiculous
From: nemesis
Date: 28 Jan 2009 10:18:00
Message: <49807728@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez escreveu:
> I'm not against GPL (I contribute to a LGPL project regularly and my own
> projects are GPL when and if they get out of my computer). I'm against
> DRM-like measures in GNU software.

Those "DRM-like measures" don't take away the freedoms of anyone anymore
than current GPL:  people wanting it for proprietary projects without
source code sharing are still out, as they've always been.

These plugins for GCC are not like plugins for Firefox.  Despite both in
a sense providing extended functionality for the open-source projects, a
Flash player depends entirely on Flash content on the web, not on
specific Firefox resources, while a plugin for gcc would be eager to use
data, structures and functions provided by the core compiler.  It's
really just code that should be in the compiler that was outsourced, so
it must be GPL too.