POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? : Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:22:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this?
From: Invisible
Date: 28 Jan 2009 08:49:42
Message: <49806276$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> Yeh that was kinda my point, normal people don't care enough about
> things like that to even try to find a solution, let alone go around
> publically announcing how they think MS could be run better.

M$ has somehow succeeded in convincing people that it is somehow
"normal" for computers to not work correctly.

I mean, if your car occasionally stalled for no apparent reason, you'd
demand to have it fixed. But if your computer sometimes doesn't work,
everybody seems to think that that's just "how it is", and that this
incorrect behaviour is somehow "acceptable".

Unfortunately, as more and more stuff becomes computer-controlled,
people find it more and more acceptable for things to not work properly.
  For example, mobile phones that occasionally "crash" and have to be
"rebooted" to make them work again. TVs that occasionally "forget" where
all the channels are and have to rescan for them. And so on.

10 years ago, if you bought a TV and it sometimes stopped working
properly, you'd call the manufacturers and demand that they fix it.
Today, it seems to be the attitude that "oh, well, it's a high-tech
thing; it's inherantly impossible to make it actually work properly". WTF?

Thank you, Micro$oft.