POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? : Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:17:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this?
From: Darren New
Date: 27 Jan 2009 12:13:39
Message: <497f40c3$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> I think they are more worried about enterprise Linux server installs,
> which go beyond that puny 1% mark.

That, and maybe stuff like OpenOffice?  MS wouldn't want an open source
competitor to Exchange that runs on Linux either.  If you can FUD about
Linux being useless for the desktop, and you can FUD that you can't get
Linux and Windows to cooperate even with OSS software, you can keep
something like ExchangeSubstitute from getting good.

> It means suddenly Visual Studio developers may be targetting MySQL or
> PostgreSQL databases rather than SQL Server, for instance.  Heck, they
> may end up even using open-source libs rather than what's in the Windows
> API if control is too loose over them... :P

If you're doing Windows stuff that ports to Linux, you're better off
building Linux libs that mimic the Windows stuff anyway, methinks.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"