POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? : Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:18:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this?
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 27 Jan 2009 11:58:59
Message: <497f3d53$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
.

> As far as I know, M$ makes more money out of Office than Windows.
> (Notice how Office only runs on Windows - and Mac OS, weirdly enough...)
> Clearly Office only runs on desktops, not servers.

Those two because supporting Office on Linux would be a nightmare. Of
course, I suppose they could release it for Fedora as their only
officially supported distro.

> Current levels of Linux uptake don't really pose a threat. I guess M$ is
> worried about what Linux might become, rather than what it is today. Who
> knows what goes in in their little heads?

I don't see Linux gaining the end user desktop market in the foreseeable
future.

> That isn't the way M$ does business. Typically they achieve market share
> by eliminating competition rather than producing quality products.

Adobe is much worse about this than MS... How many things that didn't
used to have Adobe in front of them now do?

--
~Mike