POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? : Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:20:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this?
From: Invisible
Date: 27 Jan 2009 11:28:45
Message: <497f363d$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   I would wildly guess that at least 99% of Windows sales revenues come
> from individuals, the remaining 1% from other companies. If FUD'ing the
> one tenth of companies not using Windows in their servers to switch to
> Windows would succeed, how much would Microsoft's revenue increase?
> Something 0.1%? One thousandth of what they current get.

As far as I know, M$ makes more money out of Office than Windows.
(Notice how Office only runs on Windows - and Mac OS, weirdly enough...)
Clearly Office only runs on desktops, not servers.

>   Big deal? I really think MS is just being paranoid and making a lot
> of noise over nothing.

Current levels of Linux uptake don't really pose a threat. I guess M$ is
worried about what Linux might become, rather than what it is today. Who
knows what goes in in their little heads?

>   IMO they should invest their resources on making better products rather
> than trying to gain some 0.1% of market share by dubious means, which is
> only negative PR for them and can cause a backlash. You don't get a
> positive image of yourself by bashing your opponents. You do it by doing
> a good job and offering high-quality products, and letting your products
> speak for you.

That isn't the way M$ does business. Typically they achieve market share
by eliminating competition rather than producing quality products.

Of course, if they *did* sit up and start making better products, that
would be nice...