POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? : Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:16:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this?
From: Warp
Date: 27 Jan 2009 11:22:10
Message: <497f34b2@news.povray.org>
nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Warp escreveu:
> > 2) Why does Microsoft care about Linux, with its... what? Less than 1% market
> > share?

> I think they are more worried about enterprise Linux server installs,
> which go beyond that puny 1% mark.

  Even if 10% of companies used Linux in their servers, how much does
that mean in the total revenue of Microsoft?

  I would wildly guess that at least 99% of Windows sales revenues come
from individuals, the remaining 1% from other companies. If FUD'ing the
one tenth of companies not using Windows in their servers to switch to
Windows would succeed, how much would Microsoft's revenue increase?
Something 0.1%? One thousandth of what they current get.

  Big deal? I really think MS is just being paranoid and making a lot
of noise over nothing.

  IMO they should invest their resources on making better products rather
than trying to gain some 0.1% of market share by dubious means, which is
only negative PR for them and can cause a backlash. You don't get a
positive image of yourself by bashing your opponents. You do it by doing
a good job and offering high-quality products, and letting your products
speak for you.

--
                                                          - Warp