POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Outgunned : Re: Outgunned Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:17:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Outgunned
From: scott
Date: 27 Jan 2009 04:15:18
Message: <497ed0a6$1@news.povray.org>
> Normal trickery is very good for creating surface roughness. The problems
> start when people try to use it to fake large structures such as waves.
> (Yeah, now go look obliquely across the surface. Look wavey? No, I thought
> not.)

This is one of the best examples of parallax mapping I have seen:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/images/art/ob_pc/obliv06B.jpg

I imagine it looks even better when seen animated.

Hard to believe that the walls are just flat polygons (well until you see
the silhouette edge on the right under the chain!).