POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Occasionally, sanity does prevail. : Re: Occasionally, sanity does prevail. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:24:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Occasionally, sanity does prevail.
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 26 Jan 2009 14:08:50
Message: <497e0a42$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   On the other hand, it's a fine line between freedom of religious
> expression and, sometimes, safety regulations.
>
>   For example, if in some kind of food preparation establishment there's
> a rule, related to food hygiene and safety, that all workers handling the
> food must not wear long-sleeved shirts (because long sleeves may touch
> the food products, increasing risk of contamination), and someone has the
> religious conviction that he must wear long-sleeved shirts (I suppose I
> don't have to mention such religion by name), which one in this case should
> be imposed, the freedom of religious expression, or the safety rule?

Here's another interesting one:

Apparently in the UK, if you're unemployed, you can obtain unemployment
benefits. But if you get offered a job and you turn it down, they can
cut off your benefits.

Now suppose you get offered a job in a porn shop, and you morally don't
approve of porn. Do they have the right to take away your benefits?

OTOH, you could try to make up any flimsy excuse that *any* job you're
offered conflicts with your "morals", so you never have to actually get
a job and can just sit taking benefits...

That's an interesting balancing act to get right.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/