POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Outgunned : Re: Outgunned [260 KB] Server Time
9 Oct 2024 17:47:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Outgunned [260 KB]
From: nemesis
Date: 26 Jan 2009 12:50:04
Message: <497df7cc$1@news.povray.org>
scott escreveu:
>> Interesting. HL2 is "only" a computer game, and so presumably has the
>> lowest possibly polygon counts, and yet it fills a 4GB DVD.
>
> Textures.  My car models typically have no textures, maybe one for the
> license plate but that's about it.  I suspect in a game there are many
> thousands of textures.  Even back in the day of Duke Nukem 3D I remember
> scrolling through pages and pages of texture thumbnails in the level
> editor.

I also believe game polygonal models are stored in final format, isn't
it?  I mean, no "mesh-smooth" subdivided surfaces on the fly, just a
single mesh, that used to be lowpoly but in modern games is reasonably
dense.  They seemginly play around with LOD techniques to get them
simplified at distances, but they are stored in the most dense form.

And yes, texture maps still eat it all, I guess.