POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Outgunned : Re: Outgunned [260 KB] Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:23:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Outgunned [260 KB]
From: Invisible
Date: 26 Jan 2009 05:33:11
Message: <497d9167$1@news.povray.org>
>> For the last time, NOBODY PLACES 100K TRIANGLES BY HAND!!!
>
> FYI here are two screenshots of work-in-progress on that model.  One is
> the "rough" vertices I am placing by hand (63 on the front wing), you
> can see the background images that I am using to line up the vertices.

Out of curiosity, how many days did it take to reach this stage? (And
where did you get that drawing from?)

Also, what software are you using here?

> The 2nd shows what it looks like once I turn on the mesh-smooth modifier
> (now 6000 vertices, all generated totally automatically from the 63 I
> placed).

How many GB is it going to take to store the entire finished car? (For
that matter, how long will it take you to build all of the individual
body panels??)

> I can simply turn up the recursion depth (this is 3 levels)
> until no triangle edges are visible for my specific purpose.

How do you know that the smoothed mesh will actually match your
expectations? I'd had a go with this kind of thing before, and it seemed
maddeningly difficult to make it do what you actually want...