POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Outgunned : Re: Outgunned Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:17:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Outgunned
From: Invisible
Date: 26 Jan 2009 05:06:14
Message: <497d8b16$1@news.povray.org>
>> That is rendered in realtime on the PS3, see any triangles in the car
>> models?
>
> That's part of what the whole Phong shading stuff is about, yes, if I
> have the right term?  Where you don't shade the entire polygon the same,
> but rather weigh each pixel's color based on the colors at the corners
> of the triangles and the distance of the pixel from the corners?

Yes, you interpolate the surface normal between the corners to fake a
curved surface. A bit like normal maps allow you to fake ripples,
cracks, bumps and so forth.

Trouble is, normal tricks like this are just that - tricks. They don't
work as well as the real thing does.

- You can smooth out the lighting, but the profile of the object will
still have sharp edges, as will its shadow (if it has one).

- Where two objects intersect (e.g., something half submerged in water)
you can plainly see the mesh.

- If you smooth out all the surface normals, you now can't have sharp
edges where they're supposed to be sharp.

etc.