POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Outgunned : Re: Outgunned Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:19:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Outgunned
From: scott
Date: 26 Jan 2009 03:59:17
Message: <497d7b65$1@news.povray.org>
> I find that whenever I do this, the points that haven't moved yet look all
> perfect and regular, and the points I've moved by hand look all wonky and
> out of place. A bit like when you try to draw a straight line freehand
> next to some lines drawn with a ruler...

That would be me too, except for drawing cars I have some images to follow,
I simply line up the points on the lines on the images :-)

> Except that in the other plane, all the points lay exactly on top of each
> other, so you've got to select the correct point in one view, and then
> drag it in another view, then select the next point in the first view, and
> drag it in the second view, and.......

Hmm, usually I rotate the grid of points as a whole to roughly line up with
the surface (this makes it easier to select and move in just one view) then
fiddle about with the points.  BTW you can select more than point to move at
a time to get everything roughly there, the fine-tune later.

> Actually, I didn't realise POV could do NURBS at all! o_O

Well whatever the spline surface thingy is called, bicubic_patch?

> ...if you don't mind not having sharp edges...

Huh? If you want a sharp edge then just don't smooth the normals along that
edge... easy.

> Heh. Well the *track* certainly has plenty of polygons in evidence! :-P

Yeh, because the track is several km long, so I guess they can't make a
triangle every 5cm :-)  If they were preparing for just that shot though
(and could ignore the other 3.9km of track out of view) I suspect they could
use more triangles.

> I still find it completely incomprehensible that somebody sat down and
> spent months placing 100k individual triangles by hand though...

For the last time, NOBODY PLACES 100K TRIANGLES BY HAND!!!