POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Glows show through objects? : Re: Glows show through objects? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:25:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Glows show through objects?
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 26 Jan 2009 03:39:23
Message: <497d76bb$1@news.povray.org>
"triple_r" <nomail@nomail> schreef in bericht
news:web.497c96aca7c344784f183f000@news.povray.org...

> I seem to remember the same problem.  I would use the trace function to
> fix the
> problem.  Shoot a ray from the camera toward the object.  Call the glow
> point
> 'pt,' the camera point 'cam,' and the point you get shooting a ray from
> cam
> toward pt, 'tr.'  Then if the ray doesn't hit the object at all, or if
> vlength(pt-cam) < vlength(tr-cam), draw the glow.  In other words, if the
> ray
> hits the object before it reaches the potential glow, don't draw it.
>
> But there may be a simpler way...

I thought I remembered that you could set the glow to be hidden by an object
or not, but after a rapid test, that proved wrong. However, I seem to
remember now (there I go again) that in the NKFlare lens flare macros the
flares can indeed be hidden. You have to choose a flare that approximates
most the megapov glow.

NKFlare can be found at: http://www.nathan.kopp.com/nkflare.htm
See also Chris Colefax's lens effects:
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/1434/lenseffects.html but I
seem to remember (again!) that those suffered from the same thing. I may be
wrong, though.

Thomas