POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. : Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:20:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc.
From: Warp
Date: 25 Jan 2009 18:01:23
Message: <497cef43$2@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
> >   Assuming a neutron star of something like 2 times the mass of the Sun,
> > with no accretion disc and radio-quiet (ie. it's not a pulsar), would it
> > be considerably different from orbiting a regular star?

> Yes, because you'd be orbiting it several times a second, and the tides
> would rip you apart as you try to get into orbit.

  Why would you do that? The density of the star doesn't change its mass,
and consequently doesn't change the orbits around it.

  The only thing I can think of that would make orbiting a neutron star
not very viable is that neutron stars emit humongous amounts of X rays.
Those are not very healthy.

--
                                                          - Warp