POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Crysis? : Re: Crysis? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:19:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crysis?
From: Darren New
Date: 25 Jan 2009 17:58:31
Message: <497cee97$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   IMO Half-Life is greatly overhyped. The only thing which was more or less
> innovative at the time was the long, playable intro. However, other than
> that the game is a rather typical straightforward first-person shooter
> with minimal storytelling.

Yeah.

My take was that it had a lot of different environments (indoor, outdoor,
alien, swimming, ladders, etc), the long intro at the beginning to get you
into it, a fair amount of humor and friendlies who helped you out in various
ways. And of course the Freeman/Barney/Shephard trilogy was cool - I haven't
seen that elsewhere. There were lots of different aliens, lots of different
weapons that weren't all just Same Old Same Old.

The story was kind of flat and the individual levels were rather intestinal,
but it didn't get old because of the variety.

That's not to say that made it great, but those are the things I appreciated
about it.

Undying had the same plethora of environments but the weapons and enemies
were kind of lacking, made up for with an even better story. Alice I have a
hard time judging just because I like the book so much. :-)

>   Half-Life 2, however, is a completely different story. Great writing
> and storytelling, great technology, great playability...

I haven't done HL2 yet. Now that I have a machine that can handle it, maybe.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"