POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Crysis? : Re: Crysis? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:16:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crysis?
From: Warp
Date: 25 Jan 2009 17:11:26
Message: <497ce38e@news.povray.org>
> nemesis wrote:
> > Yes, except Halflife was one of the best games ever and Crysis just a bland tech
> > demo.

> OK, so what made Halflife so great?  I have my ideas, but I'd like to hear
> from some others first.

  This is something I have been wondering myself as well.

  IMO Half-Life is greatly overhyped. The only thing which was more or less
innovative at the time was the long, playable intro. However, other than
that the game is a rather typical straightforward first-person shooter
with minimal storytelling. IMO it wasn't even technically/graphically
the most advanced game of the time. Rather average, really. The weapons
were rather inventive, I grant you that (and something I miss from the
sequels), but otherwise there isn't really anything special.

  Half-Life 2, however, is a completely different story. Great writing
and storytelling, great technology, great playability...

--
                                                          - Warp