POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Be very very quiet : Re: Be very very quiet Server Time
9 Sep 2024 19:25:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Be very very quiet
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 25 Jan 2009 16:02:00
Message: <497cd348$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 10:26:11 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> On 23 Jan 2009 19:39:47 -0500, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:
>
>>> I generally say "I'll take you to" ;)
>>
>>Yeah, see, that was our expectation.  When the bill came and they
>>started dividing it up, that's when the debate began.  They ended up
>>paying for the drinks as well as their share.  We were fine paying for
>>my wife's friend (who tagged along) - since she wasn't part of the
>>initial invite. We were gobsmacked, I tell you.  Gobsmacked!
>>
> Welcome to our city. LOL

The funny thing is that she is originally from the UK, but had flown in
from Switzerland.

And couldn't really be bothered to remember anyone's name through the
evening, either.

>>> They probably wanted you to buy them a drink in an expensive
>>> nightclub.
>>
>>That wouldn't have surprised me in the least.  What's even funnier is
>>that the person in question attended a conference here in the US a few
>>years later, and acted like nothing happened.  Fortunately, this person
>>spent their time talking to a colleague of mine (whom they had asked "is
>>he gay?" - Seriously, during the infamous dinner, because he's not
>>married) so I was spared having to make polite conversation.  Given the
>>venue and my role, I couldn't have said what I was really thinking.  I
>>like getting paid too much.
>>

> Is he gay, is it catching?
> <shakes head in disbelief>

It was an unbelievable evening.  There were a few times where "put the
shovel down" was thought very loudly...

>>Now if my own shape would just reflect that by not being so "bean-
>>shaped". ;-)
>>
> Atypical Americans or Brits for that mater. ;-)

LOL, true enough.

>>> Yes, there as quite a few nice bars there. I know a couple. :)
>>
>>The one we went to was upstairs.  That probably doesn't narrow it down
>>much, though.  It had a sort of nightclub feel to it, coloured lights
>>and such.  If I saw a photo, I'd probably recognise it.
>
> My mission is to go to all the bars in Soho and take photographs :)
> Thank you. ;)

LOL, this one was actually in the train station, but that said, visiting
all the pubs in the area would give a good flavour. ;-)

Jim