POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. : Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:21:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc.
From: Darren New
Date: 24 Jan 2009 19:56:18
Message: <497bb8b2$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> That's a misconception here: Time for photons has not come to a standstill in
> their *own* frame of reference,

How do you know? They're moving at c, where relativity divides by zero. :-)

>> IIRC, I read where the circumference of the (ideal) earth is something like
>> a cm shorter than what it should be given the radius, and the sun is a
>> kilometer or ten kilometers or some such different.
>
> The order of magnitude is right, but someone messed up the sign; see
> http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/relativity/stcurve.pdf (emphasis added):
>
> "The true diameters of the Sun and Earth are 4.1 km and 4.4 mm GREATER,
> respectively, than one would expect from applying Euclidean geometry (C = pi d)
> to the observed surface of these bodies"

Diameters are greater than they should be, circumference is shorter than it
should be. Yes?

>>> Given that spacetime is notoriously distorted at the EH, this makes *no*
>>> statement whatsoever about its radial distance from the singularity. It could
>>> be - ta-ding! - zero after all...
>> More like infinity, methinks.
>
> (*scratches head*)
> Doesn't make sense to me: We get closer to the black hole's center, and when we
> have reached the EH this distance becomes *infinite*?

Yes. for the same reason that the diameter of the earth is *greater* than it
should be given its circumference.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"