POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : WIndows 7 multi-core operation : Re: WIndows 7 multi-core operation Server Time
30 Apr 2024 05:37:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIndows 7 multi-core operation
From: Chris Cason
Date: 24 Jan 2009 08:16:59
Message: <497b14cb@news.povray.org>
JayWiz wrote:
> I installed POVRay 3.7 Beta 30 on a Windows 7 Beta and the benchmark (all cores)
> runs well. All other traces run with a single thread. I have checked and the
> thread setting is at 4. Is this Windows or just the POVRay install...

this is interesting. what does the messages pane say at at startup about
the CPU? Just after the message about it being a time-limited beta test,
there is another section mentioning the tools menu and the CPU. For example:

  Loaded 8 tools into Tool Menu.
  Detected 2 CPU's providing 8 physical cores and 8 logical ones.

I would like to know the latter for your install.

(Also, what information are you using to determine the traces run with a
single thread? Observation of CPU load, or some other data?)

-- Chris