POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Enya does it again : Re: Enya does it again Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:19:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Enya does it again
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 23 Jan 2009 19:20:07
Message: <497a5eb7@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 19:22:02 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> On 23 Jan 2009 13:27:44 -0500, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 13:46:36 +0000, Stephen wrote:
>>
>>> I also love Berlioz's The Damnation of Faust.
>>
>>That's a good one.  I also like the Symphonie Fantastique.
>
> Especially the movement with the 13 timpani.

Yes.  Or the start of the 5th movement with the strings playing "col
legno".  That's an extremely eerie sound in and of itself, especially
with 50+ instruments doing it simultaneously.

> Harold in Italy?

I've got the score for it around here with my score for Symphonie
Fantastique (both in the same book), but oddly I haven't actually
listened to it.  I need to find a good recording of it.

>>There is a
>>certain irony in KBYU broadcasting that one, it's like they don't know
>>what the story behind the music is.
>
> Fourth movement: "Marche au supplice"
>
> Convinced that his love is spurned, the artist poisons himself with
> opium. The dose of narcotic, while too weak to cause his death, plunges
> him into a heavy sleep accompanied by the strangest of visions.
>
> Fifth movement: "Songe d'une nuit de sabbat"

Yes, for both of them.  The earlier movements are better, but the idea
that the subject of the Symphonie is having an opium dream makes it that
much more ironic. :-)

>>(KBYU is the radio station run by
>>Brigham Young University, which is owned by the LDS Church - a very
>>conservative organization).
>>

> I always read that as "LSD Church". It must be a Freudian slip.

LOL, I have done so myself as well.  Which is funny when driving to work
I see billboards for various LDS-themed products and services.

Jim