POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Smuggling BB's as software piracy : Re: Smuggling BB's as software piracy Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:19:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smuggling BB's as software piracy
From: Darren New
Date: 23 Jan 2009 14:24:18
Message: <497a1962$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> This is starting to sound like that blog I read. Apparently America was
> planning to enact a law that makes it illegal to "facilitate copyright
> infringement".

We already have that. It's called "Contributory copyright infringement" or
some such. That's why Napster got shut down even tho they weren't hosting
the copyrighted content themselves.

Xerox and Betamax (and YouTube) didn't, because they showed the copying
mechanism could be used for things other than copyright infringement.

> I have no idea if this act ever become law. ;-)

Doesn't need to.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"