POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ooo... : Re: Ooo... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:20:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ooo...
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 23 Jan 2009 13:33:57
Message: <497a0d95@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 14:54:41 +0000, Phil Cook v2 wrote:

> And lo On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 19:09:14 -0000, Jim Henderson
> <nos### [at] nospamcom> did spake thusly:
>
>> On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 17:00:42 +0000, Phil Cook v2 wrote:
>>
>>> And lo On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 16:25:34 -0000, Jim Henderson
>>> <nos### [at] nospamcom> did spake thusly:
>>>
>> No, what is done is that the hour-long programmes get cut down to air
>> on the channel with commercials.  I see that already with programs from
>> the BBC that air on BBC America.  We typically lose 15-20 minutes of
>> the show (which is why I seek out the BBC versions of the show rather
>> than record them on BBCA on my DVR).
>
> You're right - silly me yet another reason to tempt people into paying
> more.

Yep.  It would be more convenient for me if I didn't have to search for
the "full" version of the programme and acquire it, and that convenience
is worth something to me.

But I also think about the $75/month we pay for cable and the number of
subscribers that Comcast has - the revenue stream is pretty impressive.
It would be interesting to see how the subscription fees are used.

Similarly, when you pay for a technician to come out to do something that
could be done remotely (or left to the consumer - for example, if we get
a Tivo, we need two cable cards for it.  The cards are essentially PCMCIA
cards that plug into the Tivo.  They send a technician out to do install
these.  Why?  I can put two PCMCIA cards into the slots on the
machine.... - hell, I think my mother could even handle that).

>>> bottle of Pepsi sir" "Take it away! Take it away... oo is that Summer
>>> Glau holding that bottle of Coke?"
>>
>> LOL....arguably, if Summer was holding a bottle of coke, she'd no doubt
>> be hitting someone with it.
>
> Well if the editing programme's clever enough that would be the Pepsi
> buyer she'd be hitting ;-)

True. :-)

Jim