POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Outgunned : Re: Outgunned Server Time
9 Oct 2024 22:29:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Outgunned
From: scott
Date: 23 Jan 2009 11:11:45
Message: <4979ec41@news.povray.org>
> Jesus, how did you get so many points all spaced out so perfectly like
> that?? o_O It must have taken you *hours*!

I started with a n x n grid of vertices in a plane... ( a blender primitive)

> Also... just placing them in 2D is no good. You have to somehow position
> them in 3D space - which (in every package I've seen) is absurdly hard.

...and then in blender you can split your view into 4 so you have left, top,
front and 3D all visible at the same time with the appropiate 2D image you
are copying from in each background.  It's then remarkably simple to just
drag each vertex to where it should be.

> The difference being that NURBS produce a well-defined mathematical
> surface which can be drawn at arbitrary resolution and can contain sharp
> corners, whereas a polygon mesh presents only a very crude approximation
> to such a surface (unless you generate terabytes of mesh data).

You do realise that NURBS objects are converted to meshes before being
rendered, even in POV?  Surprisingly with smoothed normals you don't need
that much mesh data to get a *really* smooth look, 100k triangles for a car
and you'll be very hard pushed to see any mesh artifacts.

http://www.greatwallofgaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/gt5-prologue-5.jpg

That is rendered in realtime on the PS3, see any triangles in the car
models? (I think I remember reading somewhere the models are about 100k
triangles per car).  I can just about make out the mesh around the front
wheel arch, but if they just applied 1 extra level of subdivision for a
rendered shot that would disappear.