POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Outgunned : Re: Outgunned Server Time
9 Oct 2024 22:26:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Outgunned
From: scott
Date: 23 Jan 2009 11:03:15
Message: <4979ea43$1@news.povray.org>
>> Here's a screenshot of a car I'm working on by drawing the mesh from
>> scratch.
>
> I wish I had your talent with car modeling, you've posted some great stuff
> in the past.

Thanks!

I learned by following some (blender?) tutorials about drawing cars from
blueprints.  You can get the blueprints from a lot of different websites,
then you set up the 2D views in Blender so you can essentially just trace
the lines in the blueprint with vertices and edges, making sure they line up
in all views.

After a while you get faster at doing this and learn how to use the
different tools in Blender.  It took me a while to figure out how to use the
mirror tool properly, so you only need to draw half the car and it correctly
merges the central join with normals nicely as you go along.

I just need to work out how to properly constrain certain vertices and edges
during the automatic smoothing stage, sometimes it rounds off corners too
much that I want to stay sharp.

Blender is a PITA to learn sometimes, the GUI is just not in line with every
other application for Windows, but if you persevere with it you can get some
stuff done in it!  The really weird file open and save dialog boxes annoy
me, the seemingly random way the different "panes" in the toolbars get half
hidden and put on top of each other, the weird way that program settings are
saved with each model and not with the program itself, I could go on and
on...  But it's free!

Anyway this model was meant for a game, so I want to keep the low-poly
version looking as realistic as possible, as a side process I will try to
create a higher-mesh version for export to POV (of course) :-)