POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : For Andy... : Re: For Andy... Server Time
9 Oct 2024 13:02:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: For Andy...
From: scott
Date: 23 Jan 2009 09:34:09
Message: <4979d561$1@news.povray.org>
> "Hey, we need a new manager for the machine floor."
> "Let's find the best machine operator there is and promote them!"
> "Great idea!"

What more often happens though is this:

"Hey, we need a new manager for the machine floor."
"Let's find the best section team leader there is and promote them!"
"Great idea!"

> Except that, AFAIK, "managing" is about people skills. Somebody who's
> really good at operating a complex machine isn't necessarily good with
> people. They might be, but it doesn't automatically follow.

That's why most companies will offer jobs between "machine operator" and
"manager" so that they can gradually train and progress the ones they notice
might be good at managing.  The ones who are quite happy to stay as machine
operator can, and the ones who want to progress can move to "senior machine
operator", "team leader", "section chief", "manager" etc.