POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Spicy (hot) foods : Re: Spicy (hot) foods Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:16:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spicy (hot) foods
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 23 Jan 2009 00:26:07
Message: <497954ef$1@news.povray.org>
stbenge wrote:
> Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay wrote:
>> Maybe I've grown slightly more accustomed to the hotter spices, but
>> how can I still trail my 10 year old daughter who's rarely ever eaten
>> spicy foods?  There's got to be something more to it.
>
> Maybe it's genetics. Some people are more sensitive to pain than others.
> People will tell you this is nonsense, and that you are indeed a wimp.

	Actually, if it really is genetic, then how does that not make him a wimp?

	It's quite worse. It means he's a wimp and there's nuthin' he can do
about it!

	I don't know why the fuss over not being able to handle heavy spices -
I think it's a positive, actually. Growing up, I heard what I thought
was a made up theory, but people said that eating too much spicy food
will "kill" the taste buds. (And BTW, these were people who ate lots of
spicy food).

	Me - I have a low tolerance. I avoid anything that has a "hot" label.
With American food, mild is fine. With some other ethnicities, their
mild is way too hot.

	Anyway, a few years ago I asked a doctor friend and he said it was true
- too much spicy food will dull your taste buds. And I can easily
believe it. I sometimes cook some food and invite my friends who grew up
with spicy food over. They complain the food is all bland. I thought
they just wanted it to be "hotter". But it turns out, they have trouble
tasting any of the spices in there (pepper, etc) - whereas I can taste
them just fine.

	Or perhaps they do taste them, but their brain has been trained to
ignore it as noise...

	If there's any truth to that adage, I'll happily continue to avoid
heavy spices. And testosterone induced self immolation is all the more
reason to avoid it. Let the macho people compensate for their
insecurities, at the expense of their palatial values (and, I'm told,
their stomach as well - too much is bad for you).

--
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl