POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Which would you buy? : Re: Which would you buy? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:23:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Which would you buy?
From: Dre
Date: 22 Jan 2009 20:50:05
Message: <4979224d$1@news.povray.org>
news:49627f38$1@news.povray.org...
> http://tinyurl.com/7jmauo
>
> Ah, I love benchmarks. You can argue about memory bandwidth or cache sizes
> or price points all day, but a benchmark shows you what's happening in the
> real world.
>
> Right, so let's look at this benchmark. The GeForce 7900 GT is *clearly*
> the loser. It has been thoroughly PWN3D in every single test. Some show
> the other cards as up to 8x faster.
>
> Now, the GeForce 280 is roughly 5x the price of the GeForce 260. And thus
> you would expect a corresponding difference in performance. I don't see
> one. Actually, in almost all cases, the two cards look remarkably similar
> in performance. The 280 is maybe 3% or even as much as 10% faster. Big
> deal. For 5x the price? I don't think I'll bother.
>
> See, that's why I love benchmarks! :-D
>
> Also... I'm loving the way even the big meat just can't handle Crysis.
> That game came out, what, 7 years ago? And *still* today no graphics card
> can run it properly. WTF? It's like the Vista of the gaming world...
>
> --
> http://blog.orphi.me.uk/
> http://www.zazzle.com/MathematicalOrchid*

Ummm, Crysis came out in '07 I think and my GTX280 can play it in 1080p on
my LCD TV with every graphics option switched on full and it plays fine.

There are a lot of cards that can take Crysis these days, its certainly no
where near the power hog it used to be with respect to the current crop of
hardware.

Cheers Dre