POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. : Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:22:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc.
From: nemesis
Date: 22 Jan 2009 16:46:23
Message: <4978e92f$1@news.povray.org>
Warp escreveu:
>> Plus, the occupant *can* look out and conceivably see what the universe
>> looks like even after he's past the event horizon, which would imply the
>> universe hasn't ended for *him*?
>
>   I don't think that's possible. When he is exactly at the EH, the entire
> EH engulfs the entire view on all sides. He doesn't see anything else
> than the EH. What he "sees" inside... I don't know.

I think I'm finally understanding what Darren means.

If time slows down nearing a massive graviational field and an external
observer sees the voyager freezing as he aproaches the EH, but still for
him time would be the same as always, except perhaps he would see the
external observer and the rest of the universe behind going by extremely
faster as ages go by until eventually getting out of view once passing
the EH.

The question Darren seems to pose is:  does it get an eternity for the
voyager to get through the EH?  I believe not, even in the so called
supermassive blackholes supposedly in the center of galaxies.  Spacetime
dilatates near the EH, but don't become infinite (except in the
singularity).  So, if we think otherwise we come to the turtle and
Achilleus tale.

It's also interesting that a blackhole is as obscure as the future and
the objects farther away we can get a glimpse of are from a bright
distant past that gets away from us under heavy acceleration...