POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Enya does it again : Re: Enya does it again Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:21:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Enya does it again
From: nemesis
Date: 22 Jan 2009 15:44:57
Message: <4978dac9@news.povray.org>
Darren New escreveu:
> nemesis wrote:
>> Darren New escreveu:

>>> So does "Musical Offering". :-)
>>
>> You sure jest! :)
>
> No. Some of the movements (or whatever they're called) are the same
> melody played forward and backward at the same time. Some are the same
> played right side up and upside down.  (Crab Canon is like that, too.)
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_canon

Yes, fugues and canons are recursive and self-referential musical pieces
based on variations over a single theme or 2 themes, the second itself
generally a variation of the first.  Inversions are one such variation.

However, an inverted piece of melody doesn't mean the whole music will
sound the same if played backwards.  That's why I thought you were jesting.

And I thought you were originally talking about Beethoven's 32 variations...