POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. : Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:20:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc.
From: Warp
Date: 22 Jan 2009 15:40:31
Message: <4978d9bf@news.povray.org>
> But if he's still emitting photons when the black hole evaporates, it would
> seem to be rather paradoxical even for GR.

  GR doesn't predict black hole evaporation. It's those quantum mechanists
messing around.

> If he never crosses the EH as seen from outside, and the black hole is (say)
> only one stellar mass, then the outside observer will see the hole evaporate
> (thus eliminating the EH) before the spaceship actually crosses the EH.

  Thinking about it, this is probably what would happen:

  If we assume the mass of the black hole would decrease, then the EH would
recess. The photons which were emitted extremely close to the EH will get
a speedup when the EH recesses. Basically the "point of entry" will stop
being *at* the EH and becomes being *above* it. Thus all the photons will
reach the external observer in finite time. The external observer will
end up actually "seeing" the falling object cross the EH.

  After all, how would the external observer actually see the black hole
getting smaller?

> Plus, the occupant *can* look out and conceivably see what the universe
> looks like even after he's past the event horizon, which would imply the
> universe hasn't ended for *him*?

  I don't think that's possible. When he is exactly at the EH, the entire
EH engulfs the entire view on all sides. He doesn't see anything else
than the EH. What he "sees" inside... I don't know.

--
                                                          - Warp