POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. : Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:22:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc.
From: Darren New
Date: 22 Jan 2009 15:28:03
Message: <4978d6d3@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   The observer who is falling into the black hole does experience the
> crossing.

OK. Maybe I'm just incapable of understanding this. :-)  But yes, I get a
glimmering of what you're saying. That whole lack of simultaneity.

But if he's still emitting photons when the black hole evaporates, it would
seem to be rather paradoxical even for GR.

If he never crosses the EH as seen from outside, and the black hole is (say)
only one stellar mass, then the outside observer will see the hole evaporate
(thus eliminating the EH) before the spaceship actually crosses the EH.

It would seem the occupant would think he *did* cross the EH, while those
outside would have a constant view of the occupant outside the EH.

Plus, the occupant *can* look out and conceivably see what the universe
looks like even after he's past the event horizon, which would imply the
universe hasn't ended for *him*?

(Modulo the space ship being bigger than the black hole physically, if it
is, and that "constant view" would be very intermittent, and I may be
misremembering how big a hole needs to be to be stable. Ignore that bit for
now. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"