POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. : Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:25:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc.
From: Darren New
Date: 22 Jan 2009 14:24:34
Message: <4978c7f2$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> The "victim" will not notice, so what will he see? From his point of view, he'll
> reach the EH in finite time,

Let's say the outside observer measures the slow-down of the clock and
calculates that the victim's clock will read 1PM at the moment the victim
crosses the EH.  Will the victim ever experience 1:01PM?  What will the rest
of the universe look like when the victim experiences 1:01PM? If the
victim's clock actually stops with respect to the outside universe, the
entire universe will age and disappear (or big crunch) before the clock
reads 1:01PM, yes?

>> (Discounting the black holes that have paths to the singularity that don't
>> cross an EH, of course.)
>
> How could that be?

Rotating highly charged black holes that don't have the same Schwartzchild
equations. (The Schwartzchild equations only work for non-rotating
non-charged black holes, methinks.) If you spin the black hole fast enough,
the equator doesn't have an EH, or the pole doesn't, or something. (I've
heard speculation that the equations must therefore be wrong.)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"