POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Outgunned : Re: Outgunned Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:18:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Outgunned
From: St
Date: 22 Jan 2009 14:07:17
Message: <4978c3e5@news.povray.org>
news:4978b66e$1@news.povray.org...
>>> No, I've already learned what matters: I cannot possibly compete with
>>> this
>>> level of talent. I should just give up now... :-(
>>
>>     Why are you always SO negative?
>
> Well, let's put it this way. I've been using POV-Ray for, what, nearly
> 10 years now? And I have yet to draw anything that can compare with the
> designs on that website.

     But what was it that you were actually trying to achieve? I learnt very
early on with PoV that I couldn't handle the translation of objects, so I
started to model with sPatch, and for me, this was a revelation that I could
just put an object where I wanted it without having to translate it, (read:
guess), to where I wanted it. See the attached; (lol at the filename) this
is a very early (all PoV) image (about 8 years ago I think), and you
wouldn't believe how long it took me to get those spheres where they are. (I
can't really remember, but well over an hour!)

     My point is, do you try anything else? At all? And persevere with it?

> If I can't even produce something as trivial as a single static image
> that looks good, what are the chances of producing a whole catelogue of
> images and integrating them together in a complex mannar to construct an
> intricate website?
>
> Yes, exactly: nil.

   But how many times do you open your 2D app in a year? How will you learn
anything if you don't practice?

   It's almost like you 'expect' an app. to do something magical for you so
you don't have to do the hard work.

     See this guy's work:
http://www.bertmonroy.com/fineart/text/fineart_damen.htm

>>      When I started learning Sandbox 1 and 2 for Farcry and Crysis, I
>> thought I wouldn't be able to do it, but I persevered and produced a map
>> that's now had 1,711 downloads.
>
> Jesus, that's amazing! o_O

     That's a small amount compared to some of the other guys maps, but I'm
happy with that. :) It's part 1 of 3, but when I actually get to do parts 2
and 3 is another matter...

> I had a go at building levels for Quake II once. It wasn't very
> successful. I mean, I produced working levels, but they were all
> extremely lame. I couldn't find a way of making the level editor produce
> things that weren't just cubes or cylinders... and it was almost
> impossible to edit any small objects like weapons or health packs. The
> interface was just too clumsy.
>
> Still, a while back I had a go at producing levels for HL2. Those didn't
> even *run* correctly...

    Well, I can't comment on those games and engines as I've never
played/used them, but you have Farcry, so just load up Sandbox 1 (it's on
the disc) and you'll see what I mean when I said I didn't think I could do
it.

    ~Steve~

> --
> http://blog.orphi.me.uk/