POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. : Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:12:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc.
From: Warp
Date: 22 Jan 2009 10:41:26
Message: <497893a5@news.povray.org>
scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> >  Well, that's the whole idea. (The powered version is just a boost, but
> > not really the basic effect.)

> Hehe I guess it's easy to forget the planets are actually moving pretty damn
> quick :-)

  It helps understanding the gravity slingshot if you think of the effect
as a 100% elastic collision. If you do the math, you will see how the
larger object transfers momentum to the smaller object in such a collision.
And elastic collision is, AFAIK, exactly what the effects of a gravity
assist are, from an overall point of view.

--
                                                          - Warp