POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Outgunned : Re: Outgunned Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:19:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Outgunned
From: Invisible
Date: 22 Jan 2009 10:39:38
Message: <4978933a@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> Yes - but you're only adjusting the default layout. (E.g., adding more
>> space around a specific item than is the default.) It's not like you
>> can invent totally new layouts from scratch.
>
> Incorrect.  In the simplest case you can position any section of the
> document with absolute coordinates relative to the browser window.
> There are of course more complex and useful positioning schemes
> available within CSS.

When I read the CSS spec, I didn't see anything that lets you escape the
fundamental top-to-bottom layout algorithm of HTML. Unless I missed an
entire section somewhere or something...

Random question: Given that CSS is supposed to allow you to position
things relative to the viewport, why do so many websites use JavaScript
to make things move back into view when you try to scroll the page?