POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Outgunned : Re: Outgunned Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:23:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Outgunned
From: Invisible
Date: 22 Jan 2009 10:37:54
Message: <497892d2$1@news.povray.org>
>>> You can control how and where to position things, too.
>> Yes - but you're only adjusting the default layout. (E.g., adding more
>> space around a specific item than is the default.) It's not like you can
>> invent totally new layouts from scratch.
>
> No, you can tell a div where exactly it is supposed to show up. Either relative
> to the page or relative to the viewport.

Well, that's true, but how does that help?

(I guess it means you can make section 2 appear above section 1 instead
of below it - but that's not very helpful.)

> see here: http://de.selfhtml.org/css/eigenschaften/anzeige/position.htm

This page fails to load.

> All elements are positioned through CSS only
>
> Me wonders: You claim to have read the CSS spec but have not noticed position,
> left, top, width and height?

The width, margin, padding, etc. properties allow you to adjust the size
of an element and the amount of spacing around it. (When these
properties actually work, of course.) You can also flip an element from
block to inline and back, and control whether an element displays or
not, takes up visual space or not, etc.

In order words, tweak the way the element will display.

What I'm not seeing is how it's possible to have two elements display at
the same horizontal position. (Well, without using tables anyway - and
who the hell wants to do that?) Adding and removing spacing is merely
tweaking HTML's top-to-bottom layout algorithm. I don't know how it's
possible to put stuff side-by-side in violation of that rule.

I also don't see how to overprint multiple things on top of each other
with transparency.