POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Current trends : Re: Current trends Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:22:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Current trends
From: scott
Date: 22 Jan 2009 09:02:39
Message: <49787c7f$1@news.povray.org>
> Actually, what was notable about the F1 cars wasn't so much the speed, but
> the *acceleration*. You see the cars go past on a straight, and it looks
> just like any other road full of traffic. But we sat at Silverstone on a
> corner. The cars would come up to it, go round it quite slowly, and then
> just *VANISH* off into the distance like they wer toy cars made of
> paper... it was pretty insane.

Acceleration is determined by the power to weight ratio.  A "normal" family
road car has perhaps 70-90 HP per ton, a fast sporty road car perhaps
130-150.  A formula 1 car has about 1300 HP per ton.

> Also, watching an F1 car going round the tiny, twisty indoor circuit at
> the RoC, I noticed that it sounded like the engine was on a limiter the
> whole time.

Probably, without an electronic limiter the engine would likely self
destruct quite quickly.  And for demo purposes I guess they turn down the
limiter to quite a low RPM to avoid needlessly damaging an engine.  And the
driver probably just had his foot to the floor bouncing off the limiter the
whole time.

> It produced a constant note like a tuning fork. Then the driver did a few
> dounuts, and it's amazing how quickly the engine revs up and down. Like it
> just has no flywheel at all! Heh.

Pretty much no flywheel, no, that's why whenever some non-F1-driver tries to
drive one they usually stall it immediately.  Once the car is moving of
course there is not really any need for a flywheel.