POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Current trends : Re: Current trends Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:18:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Current trends
From: Invisible
Date: 22 Jan 2009 08:35:21
Message: <49787619$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> And, someone once said if your car is loud, you're not getting the
>> most performance.
>
> Not sure how true that is, formula 1 cars sound painfully loud yet the
> clever bods there so far have not come up with a way to make them
> quieter and generate more power at the same time...

Hehe... All the classic cars rush past sounding like a pack of angry
bees, and then an F1 car comes out, sounding like an angry mosquito.

There's something deeply amusing about an angry but tiny animal...

> Also I guess the silencer in your road-car exhaust system sucks a bit of
> power (the engine has to push harder to push the exhaust gasses through
> it), removing it should make your car louder and a bit faster.

I don't know about that - I tried driving my car with no silencer, and
it was *actually impossible* to exceed about 25 MPH. The car simply
would not accelerate, even on the flat.

(OTOH, it was a fairly old car. But normally it would happily to 90 or so.)