POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. : Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:19:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc.
From: scott
Date: 22 Jan 2009 03:18:19
Message: <49782bcb$1@news.povray.org>
> Depends on definition if speed, but as it is usually specified based on
> the
> observer's timeframe: Yes. Gravitation near a black hole is so strong
> that -
> from an observer's POV - through time delation and the warping of space it
> causes "that poor old sod over there" to slow to a halt.

I always thought that it could be possible to go forward in time by some
arbitrary amount just by making a close orbit around a black hole.  The
closer you go, the more time you can jump forward.  So just type in the year
3050 to your ship, it fires you off towards the nearest black hole, and a
few months later you return back towards Earth in the year 3050 +/- a few
months ;-)

Or doesn't it work like that?