POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : thread count rendertimes unpredictable? : Re: thread count rendertimes unpredictable? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:13:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: thread count rendertimes unpredictable?
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 21 Jan 2009 23:52:32
Message: <4977fb90@news.povray.org>
"Chambers" <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote in message
> Using Beta 30 x64, I got 70 seconds with one thread and 34 with two.
>
> Using the sse2 version of the modified executable, I got 72 seconds with
> one thread and 76 seconds with two!
>
> Something is definitely going on here... I'll be playing with the scene
> file...

That's a very short render time. Are you using the last  //cmd: +w1600
+h1200  ini line? In any case, two similar render times with the SSE2 makes
my computer seem to be at fault. The SSE2 is almost always what I use. So if
you don't see a 5X or more slowing like I do here using 2 threads that's got
to be something, right? Hope it leads to answers anyway (in POV not my
file).

Sorry about the missing include file. That holiday symbols include is in my
include subfolder, not in the place I have all these graph files. I never
could create enough holiday symbols at such a tiny size to look good on the
graph so it never became an important part. You might find most of it
commented out to prevent non-current months from showing a holiday.
I've put it into a new file at
http://0mniverse.com/public/37threads2slow.zip  which still needs
clockmod.inc to run completely as-is.

I added the clock stuff to the animation //cmd:  line before uploading the
file and neglected to put with it was  +kc  for looping the animation. I
normally use what I have in my quickres.ini but thought it easier to just
put these there in the scene file.
I've been able to clean up the SDL some, thanks to your asking to try it,
but it remains awful. It lacks any commenting to explain most things, too,
such as how's and why's of positioning objects.

Bob