POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. : Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:20:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc.
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Jan 2009 19:25:40
Message: <4977bd04$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> "We start with effects actually seen in the lab, which I think gives it
> more credibility than black holes"
>
> evidence.

The effects of what appear to be black holes are seen in astronomy. Just not
in the lab as such.

> If we assume blackholes exist, without much evidence so far,

A fair amount of evidence, actually.

> Perhaps the blackhole is then just a curve along
> this surface and the poor fellow ends up in another region of
> space-time.

Basically, yes. Some types of black hole structures are thought to work that
way. Like, a rotating black hole can be traversed like that without hitting
the singularity, supposedly.

It's all math, tho, with no actual physics evidence beyond what the math
implies. If reality isn't isomorphic to the math after all, it won't work.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"