POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : new C# stuff : Re: new C# stuff Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:20:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: new C# stuff
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Jan 2009 15:18:00
Message: <497782f8$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> Orcs?  no, thanks!

I think "Orca" is the code name for C# 2008 back in 2007. :-)

> Anyway, good to see C# does not merely milks away Delphi, Java and
> Python, but now also Ruby.

Yep!  Except doing it with a strongly-typed component-friendly approach. :-)

You always could do it in Smalltalk, just like you do in Ruby. One advantage
C# has is that you're not *actually* changing the string class; it's just
syntactic sugar. It's more like a C++ friend, except with method/object syntax.

And if one library writes an "In()" function for collections, and another
library writes an "In()" function for collections, there's no collision.

The problem with doing it in Smalltalk (or Ruby for that matter, I suspect)
is that you wind up horking up any libraries that might have conflicts, and
you wind up with workspaces that that can't share code.  (Indeed, the whole
"workspace" concept in Smalltalk seems like a bad idea in hindsight, or at
least extremely hard to manage in spite of all the help the environment
gives you. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"