POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Current trends : Re: Current trends Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:19:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Current trends
From: Invisible
Date: 21 Jan 2009 10:52:54
Message: <497744d6$1@news.povray.org>
Woo! I just found a Sun server that costs more than my house! :-D

(OTOH, it *does* have 64 quad-core SPARC-64 VII processors in it...)

Looks like it's bigger than my entire server rack too. Cute.

At the other end of the scale, it appears that Sun now sell ordinary
desktop systems capable of running normal desktop software. They look
pretty, and they're not *especially* expensive either. (Like, a few
hundred pounds for an Intel Core 2 Quad system.)

Also... Somebody pointed out a website where you can select and
configure your own PC. It's not a very *good* site (e.g., you can't see
the prices for individual components, only the final unit, you can't
select all that many options, many things aren't documented very much,
etc.) But it's strangely addictive trying out various combinations of
components.

Sometimes you just want to see how much stuff you can cram into the box
without going over budget. And other times you just have to select the
biggest, baddest mutha you can, just to see what the hell the price tag
comes out at.

FREAKING NICE PC. ;-)