POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : President Obama : Re: President Obama Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:17:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: President Obama
From: andrel
Date: 20 Jan 2009 17:37:06
Message: <49765279.7060605@hotmail.com>
On 20-Jan-09 18:25, Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay wrote:
> Does this mean that the rest of the world will stop hating us (the USA) now?

Not immediately. In most allied countries (like mine) the great majority
is happy and anticipating a less short term selfish style of US
government. But we didn't hate the US to begin with.
The Israeli government is probably not so certain about him or they
would not have used the last days of GW Bush to attack. My estimate is
that Obama would not have approved of this attempt to increase the
violence in the region for the years to come. OTOH they could use the
change of power in the US as a sign that things are changing.
In Palestine you may partly expect more positive voices, but in the
great majority of arab countries I expect a more cautious reaction. They
first will want to see if he is really different. If the number of
suicide attacks increases over the next few months it'll look good.*
What the asian countries think about him I wouldn't know. The people
will be just as happy as everybody else, but what do the governments of
Japan or China think?
Putin will not be happy, because it will complicated his strategies to
stay in power.

Obama (or actually we) is lucky to be elected during this crisis,
because it will greatly hamper the irresponsible among the rich to
frustrate the government.

I particularly like the fact that he said that there is no mismatch
between moral and safety (or some like that). Before GW Bush the world
seemed to be heading towards a view that universal human right should
take precedence over the interest of the happy few. Both within
countries and among countries. With Bush that changed. American interest
  seemed to be the only thing he was thinking about. With American
interest defined by the people and companies with money and an attention
span of less than a presidential term. With Obama everybody hopes that
there will be someone in the whitehouse again that understands that
short term gain may have to be paid back several times over later.

*) Because that would mean that some 'religious' leaders see their
influence diminishing and will want to correct that by introducing some
instability