POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. : Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:19:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc.
From: Darren New
Date: 20 Jan 2009 14:50:16
Message: <49762af8$1@news.povray.org>
triple_r wrote:
> In other words, as seen by an outside observer, you reach the event horizon and
> sit.  Forever.

So at what point does the black hole increase in mass? Why would a black
hole ever grow if nothing falls thru the event horizon?

And at what distance do you start slowing down?

If you take the Earth and condense it down to a black hole, then stop a
particle in orbit 100 miles above where the surface used to be, the particle
will accelerate towards the black hole, right? But to avoid crossing the
event horizon, it must logically decelerate, as seen from the POV of someone
in orbit (say).  You wouldn't stop at the original altitude of the surface,
but you would stop before you get to the event horizon, so in this case,
gravity must be causing you to decelerate.  Yes?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"