POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : DFT and FFT : Re: DFT and FFT Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:18:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: DFT and FFT
From: Darren New
Date: 20 Jan 2009 12:39:57
Message: <49760c6d$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>> It's actually RIFF - a multilation of the Amiga IFF format with all the
>> 4-byte values incorrectly written backwards. (Hence "R" for "reverse".)
>
>   I think the R stands for Resource.

That's what Microsoft wants you to think. Originally it was "reverse", until
they realized how few people were familiar with the Amiga formats or something.

It's *exactly* IFF, with the endianness reversed. :-)

Altho it does annoy me when I see it mentioned in the press how "RIFF is an
extensible format created by Microsoft...."

I do like how PNG took it a step farther and encoded into the chunk names
whether you need to understand the chunk to parse the file, etc.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"