POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : DFT and FFT : Re: DFT and FFT Server Time
9 Oct 2024 22:29:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: DFT and FFT
From: Invisible
Date: 20 Jan 2009 10:38:24
Message: <4975eff0@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> Personally I'd love to implement something like that myself - but I
>> don't have access to anything that can talk to the sound hardware. :-(
>
> You could always just output a raw .wav file and then send it somewhere
> to play it (eg mediaplayer or winamp, surely also a smaller command line
> player somewhere out there).

Have you seen the format spec for the .WAV file format??

It's actually RIFF - a multilation of the Amiga IFF format with all the
4-byte values incorrectly written backwards. (Hence "R" for "reverse".)

You can't just say "hey, here's some data". You have to include a header
that describes - in the most retarded way imaginable - exactly what the
layout of the payload is. (E.g., mono or stereo, 8-bit or 16-bit, signed
or unsigned, etc.)

It's no mean feat to set all this up...

What I guess I *could* do is write a small Java application that accepts
raw audio data over TCP and then writes it to the sound hardware.
(Although talking to the sound hardware in Java isn't exactly easy
either - it's a 12-step process of getting a factory factory factory
that possibly yields a factory factory that can then be queried for the
kinds of factories it knows how to produce... you get the picture.)