POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. : Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:20:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc.
From: Warp
Date: 20 Jan 2009 09:14:05
Message: <4975dc2d@news.povray.org>
> >   Not stopped. Asymptotically slowing down.

> So, the steeper the gravity gradient, the slower he falls? That doesn't make
> sense? He actually *slows down* as he falls? Nothing ever goes thru the
> event horizon?

  No, it looks *from the outside*, from the point of view of an external
observer, like his time is slowing down.

  Remember that speed and time is always relative to who is observing.

> >   Unless I'm mistaken, the "graviton" is one of those particles invented
> > by quantum mechanics for the simple reason that "because everything seems
> > to consist of particles, then there must exist a particle for every
> > phenomenon we can see, including gravity".

> I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. I never heard of anyone even
> proposing properties of a graviton, let alone finding evidence.

  Actually there are a few things which can be said of gravitons. In other
words, "if gravitons existed, they must have these properties". For example,
they would have spin 2.

  (And no, I haven't the faintest idea what "spin" means. I just read
wikipedia. :P )

> >> If it doesn't, you've still lost the information. :-)
> >
> >   If you add two pieces of information together, has some information been
> > lost?

> If hawking radiation doesn't exist, then you have no way of seeing what's
> inside the event horizon, and hence the information on the spin of the
> particles in there is lost?

  Why is it lost? Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't
exist.

  If something moves to the other side of the cosmological horizon (from
our perspective), is the information "lost"?

> >   I suppose the size of the black hole only affects the rate at which
> > the change happens as you get closer to the event horizon, rather than
> > the strength of the visual effect.

> I think that's what I was trying to express. With a sufficiently large black
> hole, you might not know you crossed the event horizon because the rate of
> change of curvature is so slow. Of course you know you're in trouble.
> There's just no "bump" as you cross over.  And if you're in free-fall
> anyway, what might you notice?

  I think that you would notice everything being warped.

--
                                                          - Warp