POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : thread count rendertimes unpredictable? : Re: thread count rendertimes unpredictable? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:25:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: thread count rendertimes unpredictable?
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 20 Jan 2009 04:37:08
Message: <49759b44$1@news.povray.org>
"Chambers" <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote in message
> [...]

Hey Ben, thanks for wanting to check on this but I haven't been able to get
anywhere with it yet.
Something I misspoke of before was saying "splines" when I meant
sphere_sweep (using cubic_spline).

I tried a separate test scene file with some objects (sor, blob,
sphere_sweep, text, sphere, cylinder) taken from the original problem
file(s), always renders with a speed-up using 2 threads. I can't seem to
narrow it down to anything but the original render slows considerably at 1/4
to 1/3 into it then remains slow, while the Work_Threads=1 helps it speed
along by comparison.

I still haven't found another file able to cause the same kind of slowdown
so it could be this one particular rendering I kept thinking of as being the
problem when changing thread count, except if one does it I'm sure others
must.

I ran a histogram in 3.6 to see what things would be using the most time
(not able to in 3.7 beta?), sphere_sweep and overlapping cylinders with
gradient pigment (some transparency) look the slowest. Not totally
unexpected at all.

Vista search indexing was all I could think of outside of POV being at
fault. I switched that off and nothing changed.

If I don't get anywhere soon I might email a link, if you wouldn't mind
that. It's a time-line data chart I don't really want out loose on the 'net
because of info used in it that would become outdated. But maybe it doesn't
matter... guess I just can't see posting it due to the specific nature of
it.

Bob